IAS Preparation Books
Following are the links which have details about IAS preparation books needed for General Studies Papers and Optional papers. Apart from IAS exam preparation books, there are books recommended for Interview purpose as well. Also included are motivational books. The list has all time great books names that must be read in one’s lifetime. However, you should read them only after Mains.
These IAS Preparation books are categorised into Prelims and Mains books. There are some free e-books as well.
These books must be selectively bought and more emphasis should be on NCERT and few standard books. Apart from books, the main backbone of IAS exam preparation is understanding current issues very well. Hence, newspapers especially The Hindu is indispensable.
Links given in each book lists directs you towards Filpkart or Amazon websites. These links are Affiliate links. If you buy these books, Insights will get commission. Thank you.
- Fifty books on Contemporary India – Compiled by Umesh N.S.K. (IAS)
- Reference Books For UPSC Civil Services Prelims
- Reference Books For UPSC Civil Services Mains
- Books On India
- The 100 Best Books Of All Time
- Free E-Book On Ethics
- Free E-Book On Indian Art and Culture
- Download Yojana Magazines
- All Time Best Motivational Books
- Must Read Books For an IAS Aspirant
- Book List For Public Administration Optional Subject
- Complete Study Material On Indian Art and Culture
- Free study Material For Environment, Biodiversity – Mains
If you have the question “What are the books needed to clear IAS?” in your mind, we hope this post to clear all your doubts. Taking inputs from toppers, a detailed list of the best IAS books available in the market as per the latest UPSC syllabus for each subject in Prelims and Mains is given below. Aspirants may click on each link to buy books online at discounted prices. Links to free IAS online study materials are also provided in this post (see the last section). Take maximum benefit of the same. All the best!
Essential IAS Books For UPSC Prelims (Click on the links to buy online)
Additional IAS Books for UPSC Mains (Click on the links to buy online)
PS: Many books for UPSC Civil Service Main Exam overlap with books recommended for Prelims, except the mentioned additional books for topics like Foreign Relations, Internal Security, Ethics etc.
IAS Books for Optional Subjects and Additional Reference (Click on the links to buy online)
IAS Manuals and Previous Year Question Papers (Click on the links to buy online)
- General Studies for Civil Services Preliminary Examination – by Pearson
- General Studies For Civil Services Preliminary Examination – by McGraw Hill.
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims in 60 days – Rakesh Dwivedi. (Revision)
- IAS Prelims 23 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers – Disha.
- IAS (Pre.) Solved Papers General Studies with CSAT Papers – Arihant.
- IAS Mains Civil Services Main Examination: General Studies Chapter-wise Solved Papers.
IAS Books in the Hindi Language
For many of the books listed above, corresponding books in the Hindi language are available in the market. Hindi medium students may check the link UPSC Books in the Hindi Language to buy online at discounted prices.
Books for Other Exams (Click on the links to buy online)
Links to UPSC Books at online Stores! (Click on the links to buy online)
Free Online Resources For IAS Prelims and Mains
ClearIAS Prelims Mock Test Series
As you may know, only when tested in an exam atmosphere with negative marking, you can improve the ability to deliver in the actual exam hall. Try for free the UPSC Prelims online mock exams by ClearIAS – in the new innovative platform which integrates learning with test-taking. You would be surprised to find how fast you can learn!
Tips regarding IAS book selection
- It’s not necessary to read 201-heavy-weight-books to clear IAS! But at the same time, there is no single book which covers all topics of IAS exam Prelims and Mains. Considering the competition and vast syllabus, there is no doubt that UPSC exam preparation cannot be done without some essential books.
- Quality books act as add-ons to your online preparation and help a lot in self-study. Concentrate on the recommended books mentioned on this website along with NCERT books for daily study. Use additional books as reference.
- Please note that we always try to update the list with most authentic books available in the market. But if you are running short of time to finish the syllabus before the exam, you may better focus on concise books instead of bulky ones. You can use Modern India by Spectrum (Rajiv Ahir IPS) then, which is a small book which covers almost all major points given in Modern India by Bipan Chandra. Similarly, you may just focus on Indian art and culture by Nithin Singhania IAS, for culture topics.
- ClearIAS.com publishes reviews on new IAS books in the market under our Book Review section. Publishers/authors can send us samples for review. Readers too can post the reviews about the UPSC books they bought in the comment section. That will be helpful for other aspirants for book selection.
- We keep updating this page when new books worth the time and money of candidate appear in the market. So come back to check this page again! ©ClearIAS.com